We came across this interesting post from Pingdom who have put together some high level statistics around the internet in 2012 - some of the numbers are mind blowing!
We’ve brought together a few highlights of the list. In some cases, we’ve also put in comments for some of the highlights for comparison.
A few highlights;
- There are 2.2 billion email users (31% of the world population)
- 144 billion emails sent each day (an average of 65 emails per email user, per day)
- There are 634 million websites
- There were 191 million visitors to Google sites (includes google search, youtube etc)
- There are 246 million domain names
- There are 2.4 billion internet users (34% of the world population)
- Australian has an internet penetration of 67%, with Asia at 27.5% and North America 78% (we suspect Asia being so low has to do something with the large population numbers in Asia)
- There are 1 billion active Facebook users, and 2.7 billion likes on facebook each day
- The most popular web browser is not Internet Explorer, instead its Google Chrome.
- There were 1.2 trillion searches on Google in 2012, and
- There are 1.1 billion smartphone users
The list is quite comprehensive, so surf over to pingdom’s artice; Internet 2012 in numbers and check out the rest of the article.